Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Didn't Get The A Level Grades You Were Expecting? Go On A Gap Year

I'll never bury it Summer '05 waiting for the mail. I knew I had passed I had set so much work in I must have got done. A grade consequences were in, Iodine had a probationary topographic point in the bag, all Iodine needed was the spot of paper telling them I had passed and had the ability and cognition to travel on to make my degree and I'd be set.

My Mum came in with the envelope beaming as she passed it to me. I ripped it open up and in one 2nd my whole hereafter crumbled in presence of my eyes - I had not achieved the classes I needed for Uni - now what? I hadn't planned for this - failing hadn't been an option I had considered.

Clearing seemed to be the reply on every 1s lips - but what if university wasn't for me after all and even if it was I wasn't certain if I could manage the rejection again.

After a batch of crying and coping with what felt like everyone's letdown in me I decided to make something positive with the state of affairs I had establish myself in. I had heard my sister talking to friends of hers who had just got back from a military volunteer military expedition in Africa - it sounded so rewarding. They had lived in an African small town workings with the local people to construct and reconstruct their community, playing games with the school children and even teaching some basic lessons. They also got the chance to travel on a Wildlife Campaign and even assist out on archpriest and elephant preservation undertakings it sounded fantastic.

I went online and contacted Camps International and booked a trip straight away. I didn't have got all of the money available immediately but Camps International helped me with fundraising thoughts and the squad were there to back up me while I raised the cash.

I went to Republic Of Kenya in Summer '06 and had the most amazing clip I met tons of people and really learnt a batch about different civilizations and how we aren't always as thankful for our milieu as maybe we should be.

I had deferred Uni for a twelvemonth and when I got back I felt much more than equipt for Uni with the cognition I had gained from my travelings - I grew up a batch in my clip away. I managed to acquire an interview in a Uni that I liked and won my topographic point - amusing thing was the bulk of my interview was spent talking about my trip they seemed to wish that I had spent my clip wisely and not given up when confronted with dissatisfactory examination results.

I begin Uni in a few hebdomads and I buzzword wait, everyone is so proud of me and of what I have got achieved least of all me!!!

No comments: