Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What Does Adventure In Travel Mean To You?

Since I dwell in the United States, my first abroad traveling -- to the totally alien and beautiful portion of the human race known as Republic Of Indonesia -- was quite an escapade for me. Traveling alone, going through Customs and Immigration of a foreign state halfway around the human race from "home", was an escapade in itself. After all, reaching is when the real merriment gets on such as a trip.

It started right at the airport, at the Immigration desk. My Indonesian friend had told me ahead of clip not to give anyone money for anything when Iodine arrived -- to transport my ain bags, etc. I was very painstaking about this, and had no problems. But the Immigration desk is "official government". I wanted no jobs there. So, when the miss behind the counter hesitated on stamping and returning my passport, I wondered. When she asked me how much money I had with me, I was the 1 who hesitated. Iodine asked her if there was a ground for needing to know, and how much I was expected to have. She simply repeated her question. A flash of acknowledgment hit me then. So I raised my voice a spot (so her co-workers astatine the desks either side of her could hear), and said, "Oh, make you intend for a bribe?" Work continued at the other desks without interruption, and the miss simply said "yes". Iodine then told her I thought I had $10. She said, "OK, I necessitate you to give it to me". I did, and received my stamped passport back immediately. Later, I was told by my friend that I had handled it all wrongly, and I learned my first lesson about international travel.

While I was only on the island of Java (no, I didn't travel to Bali), traveling around old (and new) Djakarta to undergo the spirit of the civilization in assorted ways with local friends was amazing! This was the metropolis of which I'd read escapade narratives many modern times in my youth, while I was only an "armchair traveler"; (and which was formerly spelled with a "D" as the first missive - Djakarta). It was an escapade conversing with locals in my then non-existent Indonesian, and their broken "pigeon" English. It was an escapade going to the hill state outside Bandung to see the tea plantations and the terraced rice fields; and to interact with the people in a little community with whom I was invited to play volleyball game (yes, really! -- and they had the nett and ball, with a nice soil court!). Volleyball games, and people who knew how to play, were perhaps least among my outlooks to happen in the little community of a totally different culture, in "the center of nowhere" in a largely 3rd human race state halfway around the human race from home. Volleyball is, after all, a game created in the U.S A.!

So, what make you believe of when I state those three words together -- "international, travel, and adventure"? As mentioned above, and elsewhere in my contemplations on the subject, simply stepping across a boundary line of another state can be adventurous; but what about beyond that? Bashes escapade combined with traveling conjure mental images of an African campaign in your mind? Bashes it possibly affect heli-skiing from some of the otherwise unaccessible inclines of the tallest mounts in Canada? Or is your escapade 1 of exploring newly discovered caves under the jungles of South America?

You will, from clip to time, of course, happen all of those, and more, right here. But there are many sorts of escapade in travel, and we may even research a spot of the romanticist sort from clip to time. (Hey, this isn't only for the guys!)

No comments: